Saturday, January 3, 2015

Last Sewing Project for 2014

Last project for 2014 - a lightweight fleece jacket with zip pockets. 

I walk my dogs whenever the weather is accommodating and find that zippered pockets work best for my phone, keys, and dog treats.  Other than having to make a run to the fabric shop for zippers, everything else for this project came from my stash including the pattern and fabric.
The pattern is Simplicity #2480, long out of print, but with the basic shape I was looking for. 
I kept it simple with one modification - I put two zippered breast pockets (modification not included in instructions, the picture on the right is altered to see how the profile changed)
The pattern called for twill tape to cover the seam attaching the collar.  I used a strip of white interlock knit cut on the length-wise grainline.  It looks nice and it is very soft.

I have a lot of plastic hardware for outdoor clothing in my workshop.  Using a fold-over zipper pull with ponytail elastic makes for a simple, effective pull, easy to grasp with gloves.